I do not remember if I have shared this, but I am such bread lover, it is one of my absolute favorite things to eat – haha I actually think I could live off bread! However, since bread unfortunately is not the most nourishing thing to fill my body with I try to only eat it once in a while. I do not believe in cutting things completely from my diet, so if I feel like having bread, then I will have bread (haha and it happens more often than I like to admit), but lately I have tried making some healthier alternatives to curb my cravings. I tried this version with broccoli to reduce the amount of flour and up the nutritional value and I really like how it turned out so I though I would share it with you guys.
Ingredients, yields 6-7 buns:
1/3 cup almond milk
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bakingpowder
3 tablespoons psyllium husk
3 tablespoons chia seeds
1 teaspoon oregano
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 200 degrees c / 400 degrees f.
- Add the broccoli to a food processor and pulse until it is very finely chopped.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the chopped broccoli and make sure everything is well mixed. Let the dough rest for 10-20 minutes to allow it to thicken.
- Use your hands to shape the buns and place them on a pan lined with baking paper. I topped them with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake them in the oven for about 30 minutes until they are light golden brown.
- I served them with creme cheese and then it was supposed to be topped with salmon as well, but it was completely sold-out – is there such thing as Salmon Day or something?! It was sold out in 2 stores! Haha but anyway, salmon or no salmon, these turned out so good, enjoy!